Monday, July 16, 2012

and found herself in a cabin

"Who are you?" Jena tried not to shriek. He wasn't moving toward her threateningly or anything. He was just so large. The mountain man's head was only a foot shy of the high ceiling, and his massive shoulders strained at the fabric of his flannel shirt. His warm brown eyes stared at her out of a luxuriantly bearded face, and his enormous hands were actually twisted together nervously.
"I'm Declan. I found you in the river, stuck in some tree roots. I thought.. I thought you were going to die."
Jena breathed in as she remembered falling, the icy grip of the water squeezing her life force. She knew fairies were supposed to stay warm, and that kept so many of them indoors most of the winter. She shivered. Maybe she wasn't as invincible as she felt.
"Thank you," she said softly, staring at the fire. "It was stupid of me to go out in the first place, and I wasn't even paying attention."
The fire crackled. The warmth seeped into Jena's bones finally, and she felt a great tiredness creep over her. Her eyes started to close of their own volition, but then snapped open. "Wait. Where are my clothes?"
Declan turned from the fire, startled. She actually saw a red stain creeping up his cheeks out of the brown beard that she suddenly wanted to touch. Was it as soft as it looked?
"Oh sorry. I uh... I can get you some of mine. Yours were pretty shredded and I had to uh.. " he cleared his throat, "get them off you so you could warm up."
Jena raised an eyebrow at him. "Your clothes?" She stared up at his massive bulk. He saw her looking and grimaced. "I'll do what I can, I promise." Declan disappeared into a back room.
Jena felt warmer now, a little too warm. Was her face as flushed as it felt? She must be too near the fire. She wrapped herself snugly in the bearskin and scooted back until she was sitting against a large wooden chair that held a worn blue cushion. Leaning her head against the soft edge of the cushion, she closed her eyes for just a moment...
And woke up to the feeling of being lifted into the air by a pair of well-muscled arms. She gasped and clutched at the air and almost tumbled to the floor. "Whoa!" said Declan, "I was just going to put you in my bed. I mean, wait. Just you in my bed. By yourself. I uh. I'll be in the other room. I won't bother you. Um..." She could see his face dimly in the darkened hallway as he shook his head and closed his eyes. She took pity on him. "It's fine, don't--" her words were interrupted by a huge yawn that overtook her. He moved down the hallway again and deposited her gently on a large, soft bed in a shadowed room. "There are some clothes on the chair in the corner. Just yell my name if you need anything. Sleep well." And with that, he shut the door on her bemused expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment